Martes, Mayo 17, 2011

James Frey Talks Truth With Big Think


“I don’t care much about truth.”
So says James Frey. And for the first time since the controversy broke about the untruths in his book “A Million Little Pieces,” I have watched an interview with next-to-n0 doubt that he was being honest. I’m not talking about the Oprah appearance. I’m talking about the video on Big Think.

Here’s a comparison, in talking about “A Million Little Pieces:”
Big Think:
When the controversy blew up, and I was sort of written off by the publishing business, and by the literary community, instead of being upset about it, I was kind of excited. … From that point forward I was free. I got kicked out of a club I didn’t want to be a part of and it was awesome.
This might look like a wind-up to pound Frey with accusations of contradiction, double-speak, whatever. It’s not. These quotes above don’t necessarily contradict each other. He paid for it and it freed him. But the latter is brutally honest. The Oprah quote might have cracked a door open for Frey. Big Think closes it tight. If readers still don’t understand the rules of Frey, it is their own fault.
He tells a story to Oprah about leaving the first interview (in which she scourged him) laughing “pretty hard” during the cab ride. “And then I got home and my wife gave me a hug and told me she loved me and I went in and saw my daughter who was sleeping and I kissed her and that was the day.”

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts